Saturday, April 16, 2011

Attaining Nirvana

a place or state characterized by freedom from or oblivion to pain, worry, and the external world. this is nirvana. I've felt it before. Mostly in little clips of time, once for several months. The time spent in nirvana is the best use of time a person can have. For me it comes in the little things. A small fork in the road that leads you to a great adventure. A person that enters your life to remind you what love feels like. A friend who knows what you're saying without you speaking a word. These things are nirvana. Oblivion to pain, worry, and the external world. 

These days the nirvana is scarce. It is overrun by to-do lists, errands to run, weddings to plan, money to earn, exams to take. Is my nirvana escaping me because of my lack of upkeep? I hope not.  I refuse to be overcome by the grasping hands of worry and pain. I choose to live in my nirvana endlessly and to do so I'd like to remind myself of a few nirvana conducing pieces...

- Listening to songs like Aqeous Transmisson by incubus, Into Dust by Mazzy Star, and Society by Eddie Vedder

-Letting my cat get her fur all over my bed but listening to her rhythmic purring to help lull me into sleep

- Having dreams about riding on the backs of orca whales and remembering them

- Belly dancing at 2 o clock in the afternoon, alone, in my living room

- Listening to the heartbeat of someone I love

- Remembering days of travel and adventure with great friends and dreaming of more to be had

- Learning to understand a language that once sounded like gibberish to me

- Learning about the billions of other galaxies in our universe and the intelligent civilizations within them that are more likely than not.

-Learning anything

-Wanting to read a book more than watching tv or checking my email

- Observing people who stand for something

-Listening to a stranger's words and knowing they are true

- Laughing. At anything. And not just a chuckle. Laughing really hard.

- seeing photographs of mysterious places and knowing that if I try, I can go there too 

These are some of the things that bring me peace. These things help me capture my nirvana again when I feel it slipping through my fingers. 

Attaining Nirvana once again.




1 comment:

  1. Hey i like you, quite a bit in fact. And despite our incessant phone calls that are missed and the attempts to keep in touch. you are still my best friend, and some of my favorite nirvana moments include you! Only a few more weeks of errands and you'll be in a whole new state of nirvana. so hold out Mrs. Chou, soon to be, and don't forget you've got a friend a few minutes away if you ever need me


    <3

    ReplyDelete